Forbes magazine projects a 21% increase in jobs associated with international relations degrees and ranked those with these degrees as among the most employable. It is a field that above all attracts young people seeking to make a difference and to have an impact in the world.
The Careers in International Affairs (CI) Programme is an intensive, one-week exploration of career and graduate degree options in the field of International Affairs. The programme is taught in English, and jointly offered by the Barcelona International Public Policy Hub (BIPP HUB) and the Institut Barcelona d’Estudis Internacionals (IBEI).
BENEFITS OF THE CI PROGRAMME
As a student, the CI Course is an opportunity for you to:
- Use and develop your English language skills in a practical context
- Enhance your CV and help demonstrate motivation on graduate degree and job applications
- Strengthen key critical thinking skills
- Join a network of like-minded peers that can be an ongoing resource in your future professional life
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT AS A STUDENT?
To Be Guided
Over the course of the week, you will be given a broad overview of the advanced degrees and professional career options available within the field of International Affairs and receive personalised career guidance from experienced practitioners and professors in fields such as human rights, international law, diplomacy, international development, conflict prevention, and the environment to help clarify your future objectives.
To Be Challenged
CI is a demanding summer study experience that will offer you an in-depth exposure to the various sub-disciplines that make up the field of International Affairs and encourage you to identify and improve the skills you will need in order to be a competitive applicant.
To Be Motivated
You will work alongside other talented and motivated peers who share your strong interest in International Affairs.
To Be Prepared
You will get a taste of what it will be like to be in graduate school and the types of challenges you could expect to face as a global professional. You will develop the critical thinking skills needed to succeed.
To Be Inspired
Classes will take place in the unique setting of the Sant Pau Modernista Complex, a UNESCO World Heritage site that is home to many leading international institutions. Classes will also take place on the campus of Pompeu Fabra University, one of Spain’s top-ranked universities and only a 5-minute stroll to the sea.
ACADEMIC SEMINAR TOPICS
Students will participate in seminars that examine numerous sub-disciplines of International Affairs:
- Political Economy
- International Security
- International Development
- International Human Rights and Transitional Justice
- Peacebuilding and Conflict Resolution
- Refugees and Global Migration
- Environmental Issues
UNIVERSITY AND CAREER COUNSELLING
During the week, students will have continuous interaction with academics and practitioners from various disciplines of International Affairs who will offer concrete advice.
- GRADUATE STUDY PROGRAMS: Students will receive detailed information on the top national and international graduate school options, including admission requirements. Students will also receive information on scholarship and financial aid opportunities.
- INTERNSHIPS: Internships are an important step for most students seeking professional work in an international organisation. Students will receive information on a broad range of internship and apprenticeship opportunities available in various disciplines.
- PROFESSIONAL POSITIONS: Students will receive detailed information on the various types of professional employers in the field of International Affairs and the kinds of skills, experience and profile they are seeking.
- SOCIAL INNOVATION: Students will learn what it takes to create a new social enterprise or NGO.
- JOB SEARCH SKILLS: Participants will receive training on how to effectively and efficiently research job opportunities in International Affairs, including tips on building professional CVs and interview skills.
PARTICIPATION CERTIFICATE AND LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION
Students who successfully complete the course will receive a Certificate that acknowledges their participation in the CI course. Outstanding students may also be considered for a recommendation letter that can be used in support of university and professional applications. The CI course does not award grades or course credit.
APPLICATION PROCESS AND DEADLINE
The application deadline is May 26, 2017. Early application is recommended, as applications are reviewed as soon as they are received and enrolment is limited. Applications will only be accepted when submitted online to: email@example.com.
Applicants should submit the following materials:
- Letter of Interest in English (maximum 400 words) explaining their motivation for participating in the programme
The tuition fee is 600EUR. BIPP HUB and IBEI are committed to making the CI Programme affordable to all motivated students who qualify and will offer reductions in the tuition fee where needed, as well as flexible payment options permitting the tuition to be paid over three months.
Seminars will be delivered by leading international academics and practitioners.
Associate Professor and Head of Studies, IBEI
Director, Shattuck Center on Conflict, Negotiation and Recovery, Central European University, Founder, Higher Education Alliance for Refugees (HEAR)
Juan de la Cierva Fellow, IBEI
Executive Director, Institute for Integrated Transitions
Lecturer UAB & Research Fellow IBEI
Frank Borge Wietzke
Assistant Professor, IBEI
Francesc Badia i Dalmases
Director and Chief Editor, Democracia Abierta
Helena Puig Larrauri
Director, Build Up
Marta Iñiguez de Heredia
Marie Curie Fellow, IBEI